Monday, February 25, 2008

A bee in my bonnet...

I am hoping I do not offend too many people. Perhaps this could turn into a big discussion which would be great. That way I could achieve a greater understanding. Or perhaps this is just a big whine session for me. Either way I am sure that a few feathers may be ruffled.

During my quiet time I contemplate a great many things and yesterday was no different. Yesterday, I was stretched out coming ever so close to that elusive nap that seemed just out of my grasp yesterday. Well, needless to say while I was sitting in my favorite chair I began to think of callings and such and I wondered, to myself, why people turn down callings. Truly, I have never been in a ward where so many people turn down callings they are not fond of. Nearly 16 1/2 years ago I joined this church and was given my first calling. When I was extended the calling it was by a very dear bishop. He explained to me that unless there were circumstances that would interfere with my accepting the calling....and those circumstances had to be something huge indeed...that I should accept them as they are intended to help me grow spiritually. i have had a great many callings since then that I have argued in my head. Believe me, I don't always agree with the bishop's decision to extend certain callings to me, but in the end I find I have learned a valuable lesson. There was a lesson in each calling and although there are times when my stomach turns sour when a calling is extended, I tend to accept quickly before I can think of a reason not to accept. If I could I would say to them: "Are you insane?" (especially about the entire head cook at camp thing) I am quite sure that there is a purpose in all things and I will learn them one way or another. For now, I choose to accept.

4 comments:

Silcox Stories said...

I too do not understand this situation. I realize that on the outside we may not be aware of all that is going on in someone's life, but the Bishop should be and I would think not extend a calling that is not possible. I too have learned from each calling I've had (and still am!). Perhaps it's like testimony; it comes differently for everyone.

Poetry of Life said...

I myself have never turned down a calling, but my husband has. He was extended a calling in scouts while in the Police Academy and was honest about not having the time to put into a calling like that. The Counselor was impressed that he had turned him down and appreciated his honesty. Although our Bishopric is very informed, they aren't all knowing and sometimes someone would be great at a calling, but the timing may not be right. I personally will probably always accept a calling if asked. I like mine now and hope that I get to keep it for a long time!

Unknown said...

In some situations, NOT ALL, it is to do with humility and faith. My thought is...I need to think about how to magnify my calling rather than what others are doing with theirs...

Liz R. said...

gee. . .i hope anna wasn't the cause of this whole thought processes. ; ) i hope she didn't cause you to wish you weren't in charge of sunbeams!