Sunday, July 20, 2008

Please let me sleep.....

Seriously. I just want to sleep through this week and get to camp so I know that there is nothing left that I can do here. Sad but true!!! needless to say my anxieties are up to a boiling point. My dear hubby reminds me that next year it will be easier because I know what to expect....No, it will never get easier!!!! Are you kidding me!?!?!? If it is true that I will be head cook at camp for more than jsut one year then I will be getting started in January of next year. Nothing will change as far as I am concerned. I think the hardest part for me is to find people to work in the kitchen. At camp it is not one of the glorious jobs. Truly it is not. There are quite a few perks to it though. #1 a bed---yes, we do not sleep on the ground, we have our own beds...with mattresses. of course they look like beds that were taken from an insane assylum and the mattresses are not the best in the world, but it is ultimately better than sleeping on the ground. #2 the drama---we escape the drama that always follows young women around. I am most definitely happy to not deal with the drama. #3--- the cooler. It is the one place in camp that even when camp is incredibly hot you can walk into the cooler and let your body return to its normal temperature. #4---the fellowship. Not that you can't truly love your girls and have a great time. I am incredibly sure that is the case. At the same time though we become a close knit group in the kitchen. We call each other. We give nicknames to each other...for example: "She WHo Must Not Be Named" and of course my personal favorite: "Kitchen Nazi" Yes, they were both me last year. What some of you may not know is that in California it is required to have a licensed food safety manager in the kitchen at all times. I happen to be the licensed one for our stake. So, if there are issues that need to be addressed, safety wise...including wearing hats or scarves on head around food and making sure the food is allowed into the kitchen itself then I have to make that call. I am in charge of making sure the young women and their leaders never get food poisoning. No easy feat when you are delaing with 250 people at every meal. Now, back to my point. At one point while we were working on prep work someone sang a few words of a hymn and in unison everyone else began singing. it was the most incredible feeling to have that comraderie in the kitchen. We love the girls. we love to serve the girls and are grateful for the opportunity to do so in our own way. yes, we may be in the kitchen from 6am until about 8pm, but to be honest. It is a good place to be and I am grateful I am there...I just wish I was not in charge!!!!

2 comments:

Jan said...

Wish you were closer Tammy. You could come over here and hide while everyone is gone. Hope you get some uninterupted sleep.

Redhoodoos said...

How funny. I was commenting on your gnomes at the exact time you commented on my photo post. Great minds think alike!

Hope you have fun at girls camp. Some of my greatest memories were at camp.

Now go get some sleep! =)