Thursday, March 6, 2008

I am a freak of nature....


I know I have people popping in and out of my blog and thought I would share one of my deepest and darkest wishes. I desperately want to see a Great White Shark in person. I want to get into a cage and see the enormous shark swim by so close we can look into each other's eyes. Why?! you ask. i am sure I can hear it echoing throughout the world. Here is as good of an explanation I can muster:

I was born in San Diego. often my parents would take us to places like the Scripp's Ocean Center. Sharks fascinated my brother and I. Also, when I was about 3 years old I remember my father fishing...in Mission Bay I believe...and my brother and I would dig the biggest hole we could. It usually measured about 3 feet in diameter. occasionally on his pole he would find baby sharks, since at the time the mother sharks would use the bay as their nursery. Well, my father would unhook the baby and then instead of letting it go back into the water he would give it to my brother and I to "play with" for the day. Now, I will also add he caught sting rays as well, but cut the stinger off before he could unhook the dear chaps from his line...so we played with those as well. We did let them all go just as healthy as they were when they came out of the water afterwards. I have grown up with a healthy respect for sharks...much of it thanks to the entire Jaws series. I can no longer get into a body of water without thinking of the dear creatures...including my pool. So, needless to say I was literally hooked on them. I also love dolphins. They are a tamer bunch but I have already had the luck to swim with them. I am happy.

Someday however, I will take the long trek down to South Africa or Australia where I can hire a crew to take me out, lower a cage and start chumming the water looking for the giant beasts. My dear hubby has opted out on that trip. He doesn't want in the water at all with them...I can't understand why!!!! hee hee!!!

1 comment:

Jan said...

Wow that is a big goal for sure. My parents served a mission in Aussie land. They saw the great reef and loved it. I am more like your husband. I fear water. So my hats off to you for your braveness.