Thursday, April 24, 2008

Houdini did not escape...

I have a sweet little dog named Lexie. I rescued her when she was 5 weeks old. She wouldn't eat solid foods so I got her along on puppy formula and at some point even though we did not think she would make it...she did. She is now 2 years old with a sweet gentle heart. One thing Lexie is extremely good at is escaping. She loves to dig out and squeeze out of the yard through the most insanely small openings. We tried to keep a collar on her, but somehow the next day when we go out it is chewed to bits and I do mean BITS. Needless to say it is very frustrating when you own just over an acre and the dear little pup will not stay where you put her. One day she came back home with a huge gash on the top of her head. We mended it and took care of her. She healed incredibly well. Needless to say that every morning I will hear our collie, Patch and our other dog, Buddy- our chocolate lab, barking for no good reason. Every morning when I hear it I brace myself because it usually means that Lexie has escaped and she is frolicking around in the open land next door, while their big bodies cannot make it through the crevices that hers does.

This morning, that familiar signal kicked in so i went ready to hunt down my little Lexie. lo and behold...she was still there. She did not escape last night to run around. Could our blockades finally have stopped her? I don't know how long it will hold, but I truly hope she stays forever this time.

1 comment:

Jan said...

When our dog escapes, I am frantic. I am glad that maybe this time it is working for Lexie. Stay dog Stay.