Sunday, May 25, 2008

This Memorial Day I Will Remember...


My grandfather served in the Army during World War 2 and though he never spoke of his experiences to us the love for his country was obvious and he was very willing to instill into all of his grandchildren the same love.

My husband's grandfather served in the Marines during World War 2 in an incredible battle where he watched most of his friends and fellow Americans shot down before his eyes. he contracted Malaria and barely made it home alive.

My father was sent to Vietnam by a country that he loved. He served his time with the Navy as a Sea Bee. When he returned home from his tour he was pelted with rotten fruits and vegetables by fellow Americans. I always knew he served in the Navy but knew nothing else. Just a few short years ago when my family had to move in with my parents he revealed papers he had hidden away in the back of his closet. He talked of the medals he earned and finally turned in the papers to receive what he had earned from the merits of his actions, but again I learned nothing of his service. he told us of general things that had happened, but no specifics. He showed us a newspaper clipping from the Navy's newspaper with an article written about something he had done. To break the monotony his fellow servicemen in his platoon donated ten dollars of their weekly pay into a pool and everyone's name was put into a hat. This time my father's name was pulled. He had nearly $500 given to him. At the time he found a local school and found out what the children needed for their learning and spent the entire prize on the school to the delight of the children. If you knew my father you would know how fitting it was to his character to do something like that. I was speaking to a customer who happened to be wearing a Navy Sea Bee cap. When I questioned him when he served it was at the same time as my father. I called my father to see what his company's number was and he replied by pulling the hat of his head, tearing up and replying how grateful he was to my father's company. he shook my hand and told me that he was in the most revered company of Sea bees there in Vietnam. He would not explain as he said it was not his place, but he was incredibly touched.

My nephew is a member of the Air Force at this current time. he goes back and from from the US to Iraq in rotation with the rest of his fellow Air Force servicemen. When he spent his first September 11th in Iraq he raised a flag in honor of his fellow Americans. He sent it to Don & I for Christmas. We promptly framed the large flag and hung it in his honor inside our store, where he worked when he was younger. he still continues his rotation and has signed on for another seven years serving his country. My prayers are always with him.

My dear friend from good ol' Tracy High School, Steven Bridges, joined the Army. I talked to him often on the phone while he was stationed halfway across the country. He loved his country and was honored to be serving a country and he truly believed he was protecting us all here. He died in Iraq and was brought home. I couldn't bring myself to attend the funeral because I could not remember him in that way. He was my friend and I remember sitting during rehearsals laughing at the most obscure things. He watched over me while I tried desperately to heal a broken heart. He made me smile when I didn't want to and made me laugh when I was so angry at the world. he was our protector and stood in harm's way for each and every one of us. His children couldn't have a more honorable Father.

Now in the next few months another nephew who will be graduating this Thursday from high school will be heading off to work hard to realize his dream of becoming a Navy Seal. This is the same young man who wanted to help his mother clean the kitchen for Mother's Day with a hose. This is the same young man who I held in my arms when he scraped his knee. Now, he will stand as a man in front of us all to protect and serve us.

My dear friends...Memorial Day is more than just a three day weekend. it is a time to remember those who stood to protect us, those who returned, those who had not, and those who are so far away from home at this time. Though war is not the choice any of us wants, sometimes it is a necessary thing to return the peace to the world.

I pray for the leaders of the world, I pray for the families who give up a family member to protect us and I honor the men and women that put on a uniform. Let us remember their simple and heroic acts of service and let us not forget the families they leave behind to protect us.

Happy Memorial Day.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Wow Tammy, I have goosebumps. That was beautiful. When you commented on my post about it meant alot to your family, I can see that you are talking about alot of generations of service oriented men. And your friends story, I am so very sorry. Your father sounds like a wonderful man. What he did for those children is amazing. Thanks for this beautiful post and I agree, this is way more than a 3 day weekend. Never forget.

Unknown said...

Here! Here! It broke my heart as I drove through town today and only saw sprinklings of our flag displayed. How sad we all forget...especially in a time of war!