Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Chicken Run!!!


Snuggled deep under the covers my mind exploded when awakened by the sound of my favorite three dogs growling while the sound of clucking in the background.

I ran outside in my bare feet as the wind nearly blew my unawake body over. I gathered the dogs into their kennel where they snuggled into their doghouses to begin their long hard day of napping. Behind me floated the soft clucks of a very confused, yet unbelievably stubborn chicken. It darted under the train car before I could catch him in my protective hands.

Being the genius that I am I gathered a handful of scratch in my hand and sprinkled it on the dirt for the chicken to eat when it felt safe to emerge. It had no reason to trust me. I was a stranger to the tired, feathered creature. While I stood there, it was not going to show its beak.

It stayed in hiding until we closed our store. One final try, we attempted to save the chicken but it still refused to show itself. we finally opened the kennel and let the dogs out to stretch their legs and do their business. We walked into the house when all of a sudden we heard the growling that stopped me in my tracks.

The last time I had heard that sound I needed a shovel to remove the offering of a dead animal my dogs had so lovingly left me. Excellent hunters that they were, the dogs cornered the chicken under a stack of stall mats.Don lifted the mats with the use of our forklift when the confused feathered creature darted on in hopes of escaping. Instead of running into the open trash can I gave it for a safe escape, that incredibly confused and rather stupid chicken ran directly towards our chocolate lab who wasted no time in grabbing the chicken by its neck as it struggled.

He ran off to his dog house to put his new feathered friend out of his misery. Unbelievably, he was not dead, but still clucking away. Buddy emerged from his doghouse spitting out a mouthful of feathers. After catching him I maneuvered the chicken into the can and dragged it quickly into the security of our dog free backyard. The chicken jumped from the can and tried desperately to wedge itself into the ivy covered wall.

My brave hubby dislodged our feathered guest from the wall and placed him securely into the safety of the small dog crate. Temporarily its name is Billy Bob Quincy aka B.B.Q.

I hope you all enjoyed my adventure!!!

1 comment:

Jan said...

Whoa Tammy. Poor thing. We have had to do that a couple of times ourselves. As in eat them because of a neighbor dog. You have your hands full over there.