Friday, January 18, 2008

When I was a little girl...

When I was a little girl I was quite sure that there were zombies under my bed...even though I had a water bed and literally nothing could be under my bed I was so afraid of the dark that I was quite sure that if I even had a half of an inch of my finger hanging over the edge then I would certainly be seized and killed right then and there.

Now, here I am sitting in the dark of the middle of my living room. It is nearly 11pm. All are quiet, except the few giggles from my girls telling their sisterly secrets. I just don't have the heart to tell them to be quiet yet. I actually embrace the night now. When everyone is asleep in their beds I have time that belongs to me and only me. I am no longer mom or wife. I am simply me. Perhaps that will be the name of a book that I writes someday..simply me. We shall see.

Tomorrow I will take aspirin in advance of coming home from work as we are hosting Corinna's 13th birthday party on Saturday. As of Sunday i am a mother of a teenager. Now, for most people that would cause quaking of knees and lines beginning to form across their face along with a bulging vein in their forehead. To be honest, i totally love my kids moving into this point of their lives although i am having a bit of trouble with the concept of in five years Corinna will be graduating high school and then moving onto school. her latest choice is to go to culinary school. Whatever she chooses she will be great, but it will change...we've got five years until we send her so something will change. I love watching her independent and truly loving her life. For the most part she is my easy kid, but she is sooo emotional right now. All part and package of becoming a woman which I am proud to say that she handled the entire transition quite gracefully. She even laughed as we joked about her ice skating party if her period started that she would fall on her rear end and cause a large red streak across the ice. needless to say we really had a good time laughing at everything. It was quite fun. I love my life, but I also love the silence when they are all asleep.

1 comment:

Liz R. said...

i find myself staying up until 12:30 every night for the exact same reason!