Sunday, January 6, 2008

I never thought of it THAT way!!!

Today was Stake Conference and I normally consider it a "Mormon Holiday" and don 't want to go, but in the effort to continually improve myself I am working on a few things this year. Stake Conference is one of them. I was truly surprised to see how many wardmembers were there. So, I am happy to report that I did indeed get something out of the conference and I was thrilled to go. Elder Claudio Costa was speaking on the scriptures and truly studying the scriptures. Now, I have to admit that I read and I dwell on situations and stories finding as many deep meanings as I can in them, but I had never thought to look at them as if they were real. I know that sounds strange, but for me being a convert of a mere 16 years the scriptures are still a fairly new thing to me. I have always done my best, but now I am finding how truly remarkable they are. He brought to life the story of Lehi departing Jerusalem to head to the promised land and I truly had never put myself in that position. I actually felt sympathy for Laman and Lemuel. I felt a bit more closer to them than Nephi who always chose the right and never murmured. Perhaps I can become closer to Nephi throughout my life, but for now I will go and do what the Lord commands...

2 comments:

Poetry of Life said...

I hear you Tammy! There is definetly a reason I was born now. I have a very difficult time listening to what the Lord wants me to do and I usually say "But do I have to!"

Unknown said...

That story really stood out to my family too! I actually felt I would be kind like Laman and Lemuel, after it was put that way. I think I might've resented Nephi for always being the "good" one. My kids actually listened to that talk too. Hooray!