Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I'm tired...

I am so dead tired right now, but today is an emotional tired...not physical. We went out onto the street corner again this time with our children to hold signs up...in the rain. we had a lot of support from people including the fire department, School Bus Drivers, Postman and other various people coming home from work. My 11 year old daughter was flipped off several times and cussed at. My 13 year old had the same reaction by people passing, but it didn't affect her. Afterwards, my youngest said: "I don't understand, Mom... all I was doing was holding up a sign for what I believed in. If they believed in something else then why don't they hold up their sign? Why do they have to say horrible things and flip me off?" I had no words to say to her other than to explain that people are pretty passionate about this cause. Fortunately, last night the opposition on the opposite corner was friendly and respectful and we kept it that way through the evening. They screamed in our faces on the way back to our car, but my children learned a valuable lesson, the scriptures are for today (Tree of Life). Today we will find out the verdict in our efforts of what people believe. Today also the opposition is airing some very disturbing commercials that are hurtful and shameful. In response we have our own ads airing showing what their supporters have done to our supporters. Watch ">here if you would like to see what a horrible fight this really is.

I think the hardest part of the entire evening was explaining to my children that although they opposition can be hurtful sometimes, they have the right to campaign for what they believe in. My youngest summed it up best saying: "Mom, we believe in what we believe, they can believe what they want...so why does there have to be mean words said?"

Today we find out the results of our efforts like I said. I pray you never have to do this. I pray that this passes here in California and shows the rest of the country that their efforts failed here and makes them incredibly gunshy in even attempting to legalize gay marriage. Tonight, I will rest.

3 comments:

Jan said...

God Bless America and California and Arizona today. :) Good tired Tammy. A very good tired. So proud of you.

Silcox Stories said...

Your efforts will be rewarded Tammy, this I know. You are a great Mom and life is teaching our children lessons that could never be taught in a book, thank goodnes you have the ability to be there with your children and teach them well.

Unknown said...

The waiting is just killing me!!!
♥Jen