Saturday, May 23, 2009

20 Years Ago


20 years ago I graduated from good ol' Tracy High. I spent the evening walking in a horrible yellow colored cap and gown. I've never looked good in yellow. Needless to say we had the graduation to end all graduations. It was a disaster of epic proportions for every parent, grandparent and administrator. It was the year of a new principal who seemed to think she should completely turn the school on its ear and change everything without warning anyone...including students. I'm not sure how it started or whose idea it truly was, but as it turns out we the students had no second thought on showing our displeasure to the entire administration and superintendent of schools. The straw that broke the camel's back was the banning of tortillas from graduation. The tortillas started a few years earlier as a celebration of Tracy as we had Mi Ranchito in town where they made fresh corn tortillas. It was an original thing that belonged to the students where they would be thrown in celebration like frisbees. Since the principal pushed so hard during the entire year we pushed back and snuck in tortillas, beach balls among other items to disrupt the graduation. I believe we got our point across in our own unique way. The point is not that we "misbehaved", but the fact that we stood together to make a point. Sure, it could've been done a different route, but we were teens. You can't be perfect all the time.

The best part is the rules, still given to seniors this day, include the banning of tortillas, beach balls and other inflatable items we shall not discuss. So, today when I was blessed by one of my laurels to be present at her graduation I was so excited. 6 of my girls are graduating this year and I am thrilled to have them flying off into the real world. I will miss them, but I am excited for their new adventures to begin and the growth they are in store for. I love them all very much and I can't wait to see who they become. Congratulations my girls!!!!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Graduation is such an exciting time. Youth is great- all the possibilities are still out there for them. It sounds like you have some great girls who will make good decisions for themselves.

It's so hard that the most important life decisions we make are made at a time in our lives when we have the least amount of experience. That's where having and relying on trustworthy adults in life comes in handy. I'm glad the girls have you.