Monday, June 16, 2008

Making Choices....

I am still working out a choice that I had made. With so many family gatherings in the past three weeks Don and I were exhausted...not to mention our pocketbooks with the cost of gas lately!!! Anyway, there was a graduation party for two nephews and a niece. Probably the most frustrating thing about owning a store is the fact that you just can't close down anytime you feel like it. There has to be some continuity going on in order to make it work. Well, this graduation had been planned to start in a city a fair distance away at 5pm. We don't clsoe down the store until 5:30pm. This is the way it usually goes down: The family starts eating a half and hour after the party begins. That brings us to the time where we lock the doors. By the time we walk out the back door and lock it up it is 5:45 at the earliest. Then we go home and change our clothes. By the time we leave it will be 6pm. To get to the party it would then take us another hour...maybe more depending on traffic. So, we are now arriving at 7pm for a party that started at 5pm. We eat the leftovers that are cold by now and barely any left. We sit for maybe 30 minutes and then we must leave because they all want to puteverything away. So, we decided not to go. I am very happy with that decision and so is Don. I called my sister in law just after we close the doors on the store...it was almost 6pm we had an incredibly busy day. She was a bit upset that we wouldn't make the trek for the party. WHAT?!

Oh and by the way, I know I am whining, but I just can't stand all of the selfishness going on around here sometimes!!!!

4 comments:

Jan said...

Must be a day for whining, because I did some myself today. I say do what works for you and your family. Doesn't sound like much fun to me to have everything cold, not be able to socialize for 2 hrs. and then almost have to leave and then all the money in gas for that. Good Call...

Poetry of Life said...

It wasn't rude. You were doing what was best for your family and if they can't understand that you are trying to support your family and that the beginning of the party time didn't support you, then you have every reason not to go. It's all about what is best for your immediate family. Brent and I have had to make tough decisions like that too when dragging grouchy kids on long drives just wasn't worth it. Did we get the cold shoulder? A little, but most get over it quickly and the ones that don't, oh well! I kept my sanity and my kids were better off for it. You totally did the right thing.

Silcox Stories said...

It's so easy for us to say you made the best choice for your family, but sometimes it's still so hard when you're in the thick of it. Like you and Laura we too face those tough choices and it doesn't always make everyone happy. There has to be some give and take and it can't always be on your part! Hang in there, we love you!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

Sometimes it's so hard to say no, and yet so worth it.