Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hele mei hoohiwahiwa!!!!


It never occurred to me when I was applying to this position that I could work hard at something that I love and literally enjoy work. The concept of loving what you do was completely lost on me.

Pizza maker, cashier, parts department, administrative assistant, operator, cook, fast food worker, courier, business owner are some of the jobs I've held in the past. I've found something to love at each and every job I've worked...even if it was simply a paycheck. It was only when I worked part time as a travel agent that I really found something I loved, second only to my writing....travel.

During my teen years my walls were adorned with posters of London and Paris, the destinations that have escaped me, for now. Travel was something I'd always loved. The expectations of packing your bags knowing you were going somewhere to experience something fabulous. Of course, my youthful vacations were filled with camping and such...and that's all right. I enjoy the great outdoors, every kid should experience a vacation of sleeping on the ground and sitting by a campfire roasting marshmallows.

For me, that was never enough. Although I do love camping, there is something to be said for standing in the Sistine Chapel staring up at the work of a master painter. To stand in the Colosseum and know of the brutal gladiator battles that had taken place there in the name of sport. To walk the cobblestone streets once walked upon by Roman Centurions and yes, even apostles. To watch your children play on a sandy beach and boogie board in January. To swim with dolphins, one of my most favorite creatures in the world. To horseback ride in jungles of wild mango trees. To snorkle with my oldest and while holding hands have a large green sea turtle swim directly underneath us. To walk through Disney World and spend my time with my family, laughing and singing as we ride rides and just be happy together.

It's the experience. It's the feelings. It's traveling for me.

At this time I'm not able to travel and yet I look back at my memories of the beautiful places, remember the beautiful faces and know...this is why I am who I am. When old and withered I pray I will have worn my feet out wandering the earth and getting to know all about the different cultures and people.

This is why I am so excited to be working where I do. To know I am working to give others those same experiences. Yesterday I began training and it took nearly one day to cover all the Hawaiian resorts we service and to help others understand the culture and the island life. If you've been there...you know what I mean. Today we conquer the mainland resorts and I am able to go in depth on the many amenities in fabulous places such as Vail, Vegas, Scottsdale, San Antonio and yes good ol' L.A. I am thankful to have learned about the Hawaiian Islands and look forward to a field trip in the future to see Kauai and the Big Island first hand. Until then I'll rely on my experiences in Maui and Oahu. And as a wise friend once told me as we sat on the beach in Oahu...What happens in Hawaii...stays in Hawaii.

No comments: